11 August, 2009

They have announced the death of Ali Marshal About an overturned vehicle

They have announced the death of Ali Marshal About an overturned vehicle

This is the third poem I have translated since I heard the death of my brother Ali Mohamed Guleid. The only way I can serve him is through prayer in Akhirah and keeping his torch alive here in this world. We have lost a man and will sorely miss him but we should never lose his legacy. On a day like today we should pay attention to the emotions of people. Every poem expressed the way I knew Ali yet every one of them hit me like a ton of bricks because it makes the fact that he is gone more prominent and the place he left a dark and dreary hole. 

If you people of Somaliland understand patriotism, nationalism, sacrifice integrity and honesty energy and hard work, take Ali Marshal as an example to emulate. He lived outside Somaliland most of professional life. He did not need Somaliland but he saw that Somaliland needed the talent of its unselfish citizens who could make a difference. He did that. He left his well paying job, his comfortable life in California and the warmth of his family to live and bear the pain of his people. His pain was more than anyone could bear. He has to take the task of not only informing people but directing a society that has lost its way. I did not cry for Ali as is the norm when a loved one departs. I cried for Somaliland and its people who needed him most. Where would Somaliland get a man like him?

They have announced the death of Ali Marshal
About an overturned vehicle. Oh my sleeplessness
A shield and a protection was that departed hero
A close and valued alley who never would nudge
He was the leading anchor in public debates
He was a shady tree surrounded with nobility
An excellent orator in public forums. Guard and
Guiding knowledge for Silanyo's shoulder
He was a man of freedom however way I look
Darkness have descended Oh Herzi upon our goals
Death is inevitable yet am I feeling…… what?
For all the enemy of Somaliland is it an open field
Fault and evil perpetrators is all that left behind
Oh Allah make Jannah his abode as I wait for victory
And Make our country free for this is a place of prayer
Perseverance is the way to success Oh! My Kulmiiye.

Translated by Rhoda Aideed Rageh (Lafcanbe)
Sudan


No comments: